A client of mine was having a lot of trouble with his shared hosting and finally made the decision that enough was enough. Below I will write down the whole process of transfering from an unknown hosting to Godaddy.
I will be using www.example.com (with IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) as the name of his website (domain) and firstname.lastname@example.org as the email address that needs to move, replace it with yours.
The challenges that we faced were:
- Moving 5 years worth of email from one webmail to another considering
- Transfering over 2.5GB from one server to another
Step 1: Setup Hosting
This is the step where you decide to move away and select an appropriate hosting for your website. We will use Godaddy as a default since many of the hosting processes are common amongst the top providers and also it is the most recognized one.
Godaddy offers a free domain with your hosting, use it as you wish.
- Once the hosting is ready setup your cpanel account
- Go to Domains > "add on domains" and add www.example.com as an addon (this will allow you to be prepared once you wish to redirect your domain to this server). Basically this prepares the hosting to accept the domain call
- Lets say IP address is yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy